Re: MGB Diff Problem.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Diff Problem.
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 30 Oct 1995 11:23:49 -0500
In <Pine.ULT.3.91.951030090619.5608A-100000@ttown.apci.com>, S. L. Hower wrote:

>   In an effort to eliminate the clunking from the rear-end of
>   my 73 MGB, I was planning on replacing the thrust washers
>   behind the differential gears this weekend.  I encountered
>   a problem and am looking for help/suggestions:
>
>   The differential carrier gears are splined to accept the inner
>   end of the axle shaft; so in order to remove the gears from the
>   carrier, one of the axles must be removed (or pulled out far
>   enough so that the splines can clear the gear).  The repair
>   procedure says to remove the 4 nuts that secure the hub bearing
>   cap to the axle housing and pull on the hub to get the shaft to
>   clear the gear.  Right.  I removed these, bolted the wheel securely
>   back onto the hub and pulled... and PULLED... and I cant get the
>   shaft to move.

You need a slide hammer to get the axle out.  The bearing is pressed
into the axle housing and needs a lot of goomph to move.  I got a
cheap-o (Buffalo tool) body shop slide hammer and mated it with a
3-jaw pulley remover big enough to hook onto the flanges of the hub,
then whanged away.  Took a couple of minutes.  Fortunately, you only
need to pull one of the axles to do the job.  Replacement is easy, the
mounting flange will press the bearing in as you tighten the bolts.
                        A. B. Bonds