Winter Storage & oil pump priming

To: mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Winter Storage & oil pump priming
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 13:11:34 -0800
The List's concensus (if responses from two people can be called that) on
the subject of oil draining from bearings in engines that are stored for an
extended time is that the observation of well-lubricated bearings in an
engine that had sat for nine years was to be expected.  The real issue, as
Ira Weinstein wrote, is: once the engine is started, how long does it take
to get additional oil to the bearings to prevent them from becoming
oil-starved when the initial, residual oil is forced out.

But, once the oil has drained from the distribution system - the pump, the
oilways, the filter (if it's the wacky inverted type found on B's from the
late '60's), etc. - it should take the same time to develop pressure upon
start-up, whether the car has sat for minutes or months.  Therefore, the
lubrication needs of an engine that was run yesterday and one that has been
stored all winter would be the same.

Soooo... guess I have to agree with Denise, who initiated this debate by
questioning the need to develop oil pressure before starting up an engine
coming out of storage.  Actually, the above reasoning doesn't show that it
is not benificial to prepressurize the oil, only that it is no more
benificial after a long storage than it is each morning (and who bothers to
do that?).   Doing it once a year after winter storage, while ignoring
hundreds of routine starts throughtout the year, seems meaningless.

Therefore, why don't we all just fire 'em up in the spring, straightaway.
Fortunately, most of us (northern hemisphere) have many months to think
about it.  Perhaps we could even hold Denise responsible for rebuilding any
engines that therby experience undo wear.   (With all those goodies in her
toolbox, she'd probably be able to do it on the side of the road!)

Russ Wilson