Re: Re: concours de-alarms

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: concours de-alarms
From: mgreenin@ix.netcom.com (MARC GREENING)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:57:35 -0800
---- Begin Forwarded Message
From: mgreenin@ix.netcom.com (MARC GREENING)
Subject: Re: concours de-alarms
To:  woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
You wrote:

>Gary Burrell writes:
>
>>Also I qualified for the concours de-alarms on Saturday before I put
>>my car away.  I came around a corner from stopping going up a hill,
>>and as a result I kick to the throttle which gave a nice load exhaust

>>sound and set up the car alarm in a car parked by the corner.  Am I
>>the first B to qualify.  (Although it would have to be in the
>>modified exhaust category as I have a LCB header and a free flow
>>exhaust).
>

>Before replacing my exhaust I used to do this (activating alarms via
>my exhaust) daily in the Pk lot at school and I always got some
>twisted pleasure out of it.  Now it still happens but unfortunately
>not nearly as often.  Any speculation as to why my (our) B(s) and no
>other car I've ever driven (loud or quiet) does this?  Could it be
>because the B is one of the only cars without a big bend in the pipe
>to go over the rear axle, giving it
>higher exhaust velocity and thus creating more pressure?
>
>chris "how can I get funding to research this?" lenth

Well, My Daily Driver ('88Ford Escort GT) would set off every alarm in
any parking structure. The trick is to get the right exhaust setup. My
trick was to use a straight though pipe and a Super-Trap Muffler. The
Super-Trap is essentially a Glasspack with tuning baffles. The more
baffles the less restriction and thus more sound.
The deeper the note of the exhaust the more likely it will set off car
alarms.

marc "the exhaust musician" greening
'68 austin america
'6? america parts