6 Hour Relay race -- brief report

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 6 Hour Relay race -- brief report
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 14:43:49 -1000 (EST)
Just a quick report back to the list on our team of spridgets. We had
3 1275 abd 1 1100 spridgets, 1 quater-elliptic, 3 semi-elliptic
cars. The 1100 was actually a 1275 two weeks beforehand, when it
destroyed its motor when a crank broke in two. We fitted an 1100 motor
I had as a "spare". It didn't work out and the driver (Mike Trathen)
ended up sharing the 1/4 elliptic car belonging to Peter Brice.

There were 37 starting teams, including 2 spridget teams, two MGB
teams, as well as 3 jag teams, cooper S team, etc. About 10-15 sports
sedan/Club car teams (i.e. modern tintops with big horsepower)

Our fastest car (Jeff Smith's) had a button clutch disintegrate and
blow a hole in the bell housing. (after 7 laps, in 4th place outright
at the time). He made it back out about 2 hours later, having fitted a
standard clutch plate. Helpers appeared from nowhere, they had the
engine in and out quite quickly. Great stuff!

I ran for almost 2 hours (54 laps at about 1:59 average race pace)
without too much drama (running a little hot though). My clutch or
gearbox made aweful as soon as I stared the car again to load up. Not
had the motivation to look yet :-( (Any ideas? I can put the clutch
in, put it in gear, (no noise so far), but when I go to let the clutch
out, it makes horrible grinding noises). It didn't make any unusual
noises when running in gear, e.g. when I came into the pits on the
warm down lap (I finished the race off).

We came 8th outright! We came nowhere on handicap, but were very
pleased to do so well outright.

I destroyed 4 tyres (right hand side only), eastern creek being very
abrasive with its new surafce.

Anyhow, I'll post a full report on the race to the british-cars list.

BTW, one of the Jag teams won the handicap!

Mike

Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au