Re: at wit's end!!!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: at wit's end!!!!
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 10:32:37 -0700
>Fellow fiends:
>
>Stop me from killing!  ...  I am growing tired of waiting for my current lbc
>mechanic to rebuild my MG OD box.  He (who shall remain nameless) has had
>the box for about 8 weeks and has only managed to produce excuses for not
>getting the job done.

Deja vu. I had the same problem with a foreign car mechanic in Wyoming about
ten years ago. Finally, I had him give me the OD transmission back. I then
took it to the transmission shop in town where the two mechanics were
excited to do something "different." I remember the one guy smoking a
cigarette while looking into the transmission, seeing how it worked (I was
hoping his ashes didn't fall in).

To me, British is "normal". So I had him show me how them American
transmissions worked. To make a long story short, he did a great job
overhauling the transmission and it was under $100 for labor (I supplied the
parts from my reliable English parts suppliers plus I loaned him my Haynes
manual - my MG Bible).

Ten years later, it still works fine except for the usual oil drip. I did
pull it out last year and replaced the seals which cut the oil leak from a
small puddle to a few small markings (the car has to "mark" its turf,
doesn't it?).

David Councill
Environmental chemist/consultant
dcouncil@imt.net
(sig under construction while I play with my email software)
71 BGT