Re: auto verrs left & right

To: edo@mails.imed.com
Subject: Re: auto verrs left & right
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:03:31 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995 edo@mails.imed.com wrote:

>      I have noticed a problem recently with my 1975 MGB and hope that
>      someone has some advice for me.
>
>      When traveling at about 40 or more and you let off the accelerator,
>      the car seems to veer to the left. Upon acceleration it will veer to
>      the right. It feels as though the rear of the car is shifting one way,
>      then the other. I also notice that the gear shift moves from left to
>      right when you let off or give it more gas. this seems to indicate
>      that the transmission is shifting in relation to the body of the car.
>      I have mentioned this to a few people and it has been suggested that a
>      motor mount may be loose.
>
>      Any comments?

The problem probably is in the rear springs or in the connection of the
rear axle to the springs.  Examine the springs for broken leaves, the U
bolts to be sure they are tight, and the pads between the axle and
springs (I *think* there are pads there) for deterioration.  Something is
letting the rear axle shift.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910