MOWOG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MOWOG
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 19:00:17 -0500
Dave Macedona asked who or what is MOWAG?  I replied Morris Wolseley and M.G.
Apparently others felt the "G" stood for group and not "M.G." There was also an
inquiry as to whether or not MOWOG appeared on any prewar cars. I haven't found
any written authority on either question, but Mike Allison, author of "The
Magic
Of The Marque", informs me that the "g" was for M.G. not group. He worked for
the factory in Abingdon for many years. He also advises that MOWAG came into
use
with the formation of the Nufield Group in l936-l937. The early "T" types, TA
and TB used MOWAG beginning with spares at this time. Thus there are some
MOWAG,s out there on prewar cars. As a side note this inquiry to Mike Allison
was a 15 minute transatlantic call. I am trying to get him into the net and on
this newsgroup but he isn't there yet. He is a master mechanic and a world
reknown authority.If anyone has some written authority on this subject I would
love to know.

Michael Leckstein
New England M.G.T. Register