Re: MOWOG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MOWOG
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:45:33 -0500

Apologies if this shows up twice, had a minor problem with my computer, so I
had
to resend.

David Macedona asked who or what MOWOG stood for.  I replied Morris Wolsley and
MG.  Apparently others felt that it stood for Morris Wolsley Group.  I have no
written authority for this, but Mike Allison, the author of "The Magic of the
Marque" informs me that the G stood for MG.  He worked for the factory for man
years and is a reknown authority on the marque.

He also informs me that the MOWOG designation appeared when the Nufield Group
was formed in 1936-37.  The designation was first applied to spares and then
appeared on TA's and TB's.  Thus MOWOG did exist on some pre-war cars. If
anyone
has any written authority on MOWOG I would be interested in the source.

As an aside I obtained this information over a fifteen minute transatlantic
call.  I'd like to get Mike Allison on the net as he is a master mechanic as
well as an authority on MG.  He's just not there yet.

Mike Leckstein

New England MG T Register