Re: MG Logo infringement

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG Logo infringement
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 18:34:56 -0500

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Now here is a hoot....Rover Cars has now decided to use British Motor
>> Heritage to inform all the "Carriers of the Flame" that they are "infringing"
>> the MG logo.....
>
>I suppose the real question here is what Rover (BMV) intends to do. Are
>they looking to "protect" the good name by ensuring that its use is only
>for clubs and/or for "proper" use in advertisement of spares and services
>related to the marque? Or are they looking to "make a buck" with license
>fees for use of the trademarks and logos of the M. G. Car Company?
>
>I am interested as to who has been targeted by heritage in this new logo
threat. Making several phone calls it appears the first set of letters went to
mostly small shops that put their bus. cards in" The Sacred Octagon" Does
anyone
know of any other targets?
I wonder if this is a low level idea out of Heritage,{where the letters
originated} a new Rover policy, or from BMW and the fatherland.
Almost l6 years has passed since the last MG was imported into the U.S. and the
clubs ,small suppliers and small shops has kept the marque alive in every
county
and state. Is our reward,a tax? or worse eradication?
I also wonder if the trademark is lost through the decades of non enforcement.
How many repair shops in every area use Mercedes and Jaguar etc. logos on their
signs to show what repairs they make?
For a company not interested in bring the new MG into the states, the sudden
protection of the logo seems odd. Will they sue everyone?

Mike Leckstein