Re: MGB '69 better than '67?

To: Bert.Otten@nni.nl, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB '69 better than '67?
From: jello@main.cpcnet.com (Phil Bates)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 23:45:23 -0400
This is a hard decision.  I drive a 67 with 3 synchro overdrive.  It is
great.  It is also simple, and has no emmissions (sp?) equipment or
requirements.  I love driving it, and it is certainly more asthetically
pleasing than a '69.  However, the 4 synchro gearbox on the 69 is a better
box (but you will not want a car without overdrive if you drive one that has
it), and the plastic dash is safer in a crash.  It should also have a saftey
crushable steering column.  Further, the generator, regulator, and starter
can be bigger problems on an earlier car, but these are fairly cheap and
last quite a while if well maintained.  I'd say go for the 67 due to the
overdrive alone, all else considered, the cars sound about equal.

>** Reply Requested When Convenient **
>Hi to you all,
>
>Although this is my first posting on this list, I subscribed almost a
>year ago. So I have been able to get used to all the problems and
>technicalities which occur to an MGB owner now and then.
>
>I am in the process of buying an MGB at one of our Dutch vendors.
>The problem is that I can choose between two types.
>
>- One is a, I assume early, '67 car, cause it has the 3 synchro
>gearbox (with O/D, yes) and a generator, instead of an alternator and
>it has a metal dashboard, which I prefer above the padded plastic
>one. The car is currently in grey primer and doesn't have signs of
>rust except slight rust in the floorpan.
>- The other one is a '69 car with a 4 synchro gearbox (no O/D),
>alternator and a weathered "US style" plactic dash. The rest is
>basically the same condition as the other one, that means bad paint,
>worn interior, but mechanically sound.
>
>Both cars are California imports.
>
>The question is that I want your opinion about which one to choose.
>My intention is, after the car is restored, to drive the car without
>problems as a daily driver.
>
>According to the magazines, a '67 car, with the weak gearbox,
>generator, starter motor is more prone to problems than a '69 or
>later car.
>What do you notice about that in practice? Or does it depend on your
>driving style and the technical condition of the car?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bert Otten
>'VW Passat Variant '78'

Phil Bates