Re: Resoration times (was Another Frivolous Thread)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Resoration times (was Another Frivolous Thread)
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:20:48 -0700
>> Being slightly despondent about the fact the rebuild of my 1967 MGB
>> Roadster has taken 11 Years to date and is not expected to finish
>> until May next Year making the rebuild span over 12 years I was
>> wondering what is the normal sort of time a complete restoration
>> normally takes.

I bought my 71 BGT in 1982, and thirteen years later, the restoration is
still in progress. I rebuilt the engine and replaced the transmission with
an OD unit. But the body work still waits. It is always "in progress".

It has lots of rust and it isn't pretty. The hood and right fender are new
and still in black primer wheraes the rest of the car is orange or rust. The
interior isn't any better. But its a daily driver and has been for most of
the last thirteen years. The first four years I had it, it was used for the
daily commute of 52 miles (one way). With such a long drive, usually 45
minuts because it was all highway and I speed, I had to have a BGT because
the drive had to be fun (this was my third MG).

I find it to be a fairly reliable car when it is driven frequently. My 65
MGB was even worse because when it wasn't driven for more than a few days,
it protested but it was happy when used.

My 71 BGT is driven almost daily. And it marks its turf with the usual
splattering of oil. Someday it will be like new - but when, I do not know.
Not soon though.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
My other car is a Jap 4 wd for Montana's winter conditions (74 Toyota
Landcruiser)