Ring JOB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ring JOB
From: moses@csra.net (Tim Moses)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:56:42 -0700
I am a first time MGB owner who is attempting to "follow the book" and
replace the piston rings in my '79 MGB roadster.  I have a simple question,
but feel compelled to provide a detailed background.

I changed the oil and then set out to adjust the carb.  I heard a "blopp"
and out of my tail pipe came BILLOWING BLACK, BLACK SMOKE.  Enough smoke to
make me hack and cough.  After shutting down the engine and visually
inspecting for damage under the hood and underneath, I attempted to start
the car again.  Guess what.  I killed the battery trying so many times.
Pulling the plugs showed that the plugs were coated with black, wet oil.

QUESTIONS:
1.      Have I blown the Oil rings on one (or more) of my pistons??

2.      Now that I have started to pull the head, I want to replace all the
rings for all four cylinders.  Moss sells them in a kit, but what is the
difference between the ring kits which say:
                          a.       std.  (I assume this means standard)
                          b.      0.020
                          c.      0.030
                          d.      0.040

3.      Should I wait to measure the cylinder walls before phoning in my
order to Moss for the standard rings?

4.      Should I also order new cylinder liners?
Tim Moses  USNA '86
Augusta, GA