Angle drive

To: WERDNA100@aol.com
Subject: Angle drive
From: bristol@coastnet.com (JIM WALTERS)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 20:28:51 PST
Rick: The reason for angle drive failure is speedometer head binding 50% of
the time, the other 50% can be attributed to binding cables. It doesn't take
much to break them. You should be able turn the speedometer easily with a
wooden match stuck in the cable fitting hole. If it's at all stiff take it
out and have it serviced. Usually you can do without an angle drive if you
just use a longer cable, routing it to avoid any sharp bends. If you really
need one, I've got rebuilt ones for $50 US. Regarding your binding kingpins,
there are steel shims fitted under the bronze thrust washer at the top of it
to give the proper operating clearance. The adjusting procedure should be in
your workshop manual, if not let me know and I'll copy it and send it to
you. Jim.