RE: Smog Tests - California

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Smog Tests - California
From: n6mod@rahul.net (Aleksandr Milewski)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 20:15:07 -0800
I did a little research into this when my father was considering dropping a
Porsche-6 into his Vanagon. :-)

>>If you have the reverse, ie. a 1980 MG
>>with a 1968 engine the 1980 standard is the one tested to.

I don't think that this is legal.  My understanding was that the donor
engine must be the same year or newer than the recipient car.  Of course,
this might just be because a '68 engine by definition doesn't have the
required smog equipment for a '80 model, to use your example.

>To paraphrase what he said, if you put a new motor in your '66 (or later)
>MGB, it's smogged as new.  If you put the same motor in your '65 (or
>earlier), it is still not smogged.

This is true, just look at all the fuel-injected/fire-breathing '34 Fords
out there.

Don't get me started on the intelligence of this sort of policy. :-)

-Zandr

Aleksandr Milewski
N6MOD
President, Stanford Newton User Group                        n6mod@rahul.net