Re: TF Mystery

To: BLECKSTEIN@shell.monmouth.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TF Mystery
From: MG1935@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 23:05:17 -0500
On 95-11-23, BLECKSTEIN@SHELL wrote:

>3. After the head was done the car would suddenly loose power like two
cylinders
>quitting when cruising in 4th on an interstate over 3700 rpms after taking a

>gentile and I mean gentile hill.
>4. The engine will recover if I push in the clutch and let the rpms drop to
idle
>for a second or two.

Mike,
A friend of mine here had the same problem after rebuilding the head on his
TF using bronze-silicon valve guides.  He found that after the engine got hot
the valves would stick in the guides and when he let off the gas for a few
seconds they would become free again.

He debated over boring the new guides or replacing them with cast iron and
his machinist recommended the cast iron guides.  It seems the cast iron
guides do not expand as much as the bronze, which allows a closer fit when
cold as well as hot.

If you would like to talk to him personally, e-mail me direct and I will
furnish you with his tel. #.

M Dement
'35PA
'59 MGA