Re Headlamps

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Headlamps
From: skillman@clark.net (Robert E Skillman)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 22:33:43 -0500
I have a MGC and Range Rover that I replaced headlamps with Hella 7" units
with H4 bulbs.  Hella makes a "legal" set and an "off road" set.  I used
the off road set with the standard 55W bulb.  I honestly dont trust the
stock harness with the 80 or 100W bulbs.  The light seems brighter but the
pattern is so much improved over stock.  Lucas also makes H4 lamps but
they're harder to come by and much more expensive.  I think the H4s are not
legal because they don't have the 3 aiming dots or protrusions on the lens.
Instead of using a machine to aim the lamps you do it by hand against a
wall.  I marked on my garage wall where the stock beams alligned, and
compared this to the recommended settings in the lamp kit.  I hand adjusted
the new lamps to the lower of the two and did final tuning on a lonely
road.  Final note:  prices really vary-check the back of auto magazines and
call several places for quotes.

                       Bob Skillman, Ellicott City, MD  47TC,68MGC