Re: Update: Re: Bearing noise location?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update: Re: Bearing noise location?
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:51:47 -0500
Kevin Sullivan writes:
>The crank is badly buggered at the #4 rod journal...
>And the rod bearings are already 20 over...
>I'm looking at some major work here.
>What's my next step?  Pull it out and see if the crank can be reground?
>Or what?  I didn't sleep very well last night.

If the crank looks bad (if the journal isn't shiny), it needs to be reground.
If it's badly scored, and already .020 under, you may need to build up
the journal some before grinding.  I've heard that this can be done with
flame-spraying metal onto the journal.  I'd have the crank Magnafluxed
*first*, to make sure it's worth fixing.  Also, you may want to look into
getting it nitrided (hardened) while you're at it.  Before putting the crank
back in, make sure all the oil passages are clear, as it sounds like you
may have had an oil starvation problem on that journal.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)