Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:28:32 GMT
Many ideas there, the one closest to my own came from Matt Liggett
<mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu> who suggests bolting a wire wheel
hub to the boot lid and putting a rack over the top so you can still
use the rack.  I think the rack would be so high in that case that I'd
never be able to see out the back.

The hub-on-bootlid idea is one that I've been mulling over for a while,
but not having a spare bootlid to mangle stopped me trying it.  I asked
a guy in Moss about it once and he told me that the bootlid wouldn't
take the weight.

My other option was to fix a hub to something that would bolt to the
lower part of my luggage rack, with the actual rack bit removed. I'm
talking here about the two flat metal strips running front to back
onto which the rack itself is bolted.  That way the boot lid would have
some extra support too.  I'd lose the rack though.

One thing is for sure - it stops us taking too much unneccesary junk camping
with us this way.  It's an ideal excuse when my wife says "Hmm, maybe we
should take ....." I can say " yes, excellent idea dear, but I'm afraid
that it won't fit in the boot !"

Now if I can just find a way to fix the wheel to the boot and carry a
bike or two at the same time I can go offroad biking in Scotland this winter.

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.