Thorpe explains shifter posts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thorpe explains shifter posts
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 10:03:39 PST
Will "I've gotta hear this one" Zehring challenged:

> >Denise "I can explain anything" Thorpe
> >thorpe@kegs.saic.com
> >

> Okay, smartypants: in the early Bs, why is the 4-speed shifter post bent
> while the OD shifter post is straight?

Ummm, I wasn't aware that they were different even though I've got one of
each in my garage.  But that won't stop me from explaining it.

Since OD trannies are not used in race cars, it stands to reason that
those among us who are, shall we say, aggressive drivers, drive cars
without OD.  Since we speed shift habitually and violently, the shifter
post becomes bent over time.  So you see, the two types of tranny
originally had identical shifter posts.

I didn't say my explanations are _true_, or even that they're _good_
explanations, just that I always _have_ one.  Besides, Bill D already
used up the best explanation.

If it turns out that this was a trick question and they're _not_ really
different then I deny that I ever said any of this.  My next career:
politician!

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com