Midget Starter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget Starter
From: GReznick01@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 18:22:04 -0500
I'd like to start by saying that I am a neophyte at this, so please excuse me
if I am asking really stupid questions. The car is a 76 Midget, bought in
September in "like new" condition. Some three weeks later I was watching the
carb burn on the side of the freeway. Anyway, after replacing the carb the
car ran great for a while though the accellerator cable stuck a bit. So I
replaced it yesterday and came back from my test drive with my thumb in the
air, signaling to my wife that all was well at last. I pulled the car into
the garage and turned it off. Not two minutes later I turned the key and got
only a loud click. This behavior has continued, even after a battery recharge
(just in case). The good news is that this happened in the garage, I guess.
Anyway, my question is: Obviously the click I hear is the selenoid. Is there
a separate relay or fuse that actually makes the starter turn? In other
words, should I be making sure that the starter is getting power? Or is this
an obvious starter failure, and I should just pull the thing and rebuild or
replace it? Or is it possible that the engine is refusing to turn? Does
anyone have a suggested diagnostic procedure for this?

Thanks,
Greg "I really didn't want a project car" Reznick