Re: Early MGB carpets

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early MGB carpets
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:43:09 CST
> Date sent:      Mon, 18 Dec 95 10:06:09 PST
> From:           thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
> To:             mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject:        Re: Early MGB carpets
> Send reply to:  thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)

> Dick Burger asked:
>
> > I could use some help!  Did early (62-67) MGBs ever come with one piece
> > transmission tunnel carpets?   I have a friend and customer with a 66 with
> > what he feels is the original carpet and it is a one pc.  If any have
> > knowledge to clear this up I would appreciate the information.  He also
> > claims that a reproduction 1 pc was available although our usual suppliers
> > do not seem to know about it.
>
> The original wool loop carpeting I took out of my '67 (maybe '66) B in '79
> had a form-fitting, seamless one piece tunnel carpet.  Also, the carpeting
> over the rear wheel wells was one piece and seamless.  Someday, when I have
> nothing else on my "to do" list, I'm going to make a form and try to stretch
> wet wool carpeting over the form.
>
> Denise Thorpe
> thorpe@kegs.saic.com

Seems to me that the formed carpet set I recently got for my 67 BGT
was a one piece tunnel carpet set.  I just dropped it in and glued
the edges down to the floor.  Then I dropped in the floor mats, back
panels etc.  Denise - as I recall, the wheel well carpeting was
already formed and backed with jute as well.  I got the set from the
roadster factory, I think.  If it's important, I can try to find the
old receipt to confirm place and price.