Re: Alignment made simple

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alignment made simple
From: Shel Bercovich <SBERCOVICH@cbe.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 14:00:50 -0700 (MST)
See below for comments:
--
Shel Bercovich                           "Come Ride   \/
sbercovich@cbe.ab.ca                      with Us     /\
Former Social Studies teacher             in Banff   /  \
"Free at last, free at last...."          National  /    \
Calgary, AB, Canada                       Park"    /  /\  \

On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, John M. Trindle wrote:
[snip]
> As for rotating the steering wheel, no.  You can't do that at the boss in
> an MG, the wheel only goes on one way.  The "jesus" nut (pardon any
> offense) which holds the hub to the shaft is quite difficult to remove
> (and rightly so).  It is a large but not very thick nut, and as a real
> pain to put any sort of torque on.

Have done this numerous times. Use a 16" or longer swing handle on the
end of your socket, brace your knee under the wheel and give a sharp yank
(if you'll pardon the expression). At worst you'll have to put a bar
through the spokes and under the dash. If the nut still doesn't come
loose, then your solution may be the only one.

> It's not clear that centering the
> wheel in this manner also centers the turn signal return nub.

The turn signal nub is movable on the steering shaft. One of the reasons
the turn signals sometimes don't work is because this has gotten
off-centre or moved up/down the shaft by itself. Easy enough to move. If
you want to keep it in place just hit it with a drop or two of Locktite
(tm).

The above may not apply to post-'74 cars.

> In case anyone has missed the point of >why< we want the wheel centered,
> it is not just for aesthetics.  It's so those #$&*@*( turn signal returns
> work properly.  If you have the wheel off center the turn signal will
> click off too early when returning from a turn to one side, and too late
> or not at all when returning from a turn to the other side.  I think it's
> even an inspection requirement here in Virginia.

See above....