Re: SU lean/rich confusion

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com
Subject: Re: SU lean/rich confusion
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:13:42 -0500
Denise wrote:

>Well, since you've shot down all the simple solutions, lets go for the
>esoteric.  Are you sure the car has a stock cam?  Are you sure the cam
>timing is correct?  If you still have the needles that came out of the
>carbs, you should compare them to the new ones and make sure they're the
>same and not special needles for a hot cam.  Since you seem to still have
>contact with the DPO, maybe you could ask him/her.

I haven't had contact with the DPO, but my impression has been that when he
rebuilt the 18G he didn't go to any great lengths or extra expense.  He
converted to negative ground and switched the gen for a spare 197? Toyota
alternator, but I think the engine is pretty much stock.  I can't say for
sure though.  The old needles are at home in the garage (where I'd like to
be), but I think they're the same as the new ones.

>I think I sent you this possible solution before.  Maybe it was someone
>else.  The problem might be the linkage.  To find out, screw the idle
>screws all the way out.  If the car still runs at all, then something is
>holding the butterflies open.  Air that gets in through anywhere other
>than the butterflies doesn't bring any gas with it.  So, if your problem
>is only a vacuum leak, the car still shouldn't run with the idle screws
>all the way out.

I can't get anywhere close to idle screws all the way out.  That's when
missing and shaking causes the hood (jezzz, I almost said bonnet) to fall on
my head right before it dies.

Thanks for the response.

Keith (all I want for xmas is a decent idle) Baer