MOWOG

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: MOWOG
From: VRHS43A@prodigy.com (MR JOHN H TWIST)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 22:54:26 EST
MOWOG -- the story as I know it.  Morris Garages led to Morris Cars. By
1925 Morris Cars had purchased SU. At the same time, Kimber was
establishing the MG logo. In 1929 (beginning of the depression) Morris
acquired Wolseley. By 1939 he acquired Riley.  By 1953 he combined with
Austin to form the British Motor Corporation.  MO is from Morris, WO is
from Wolseley, and G is from MG  (why G?  -- remember our later serial
numbers (MGA1600 onwards begin with G.  Besides how would MOWOM sound?  I
did hear, but believe it's a rumor that Morris had a fleeting arrangement
with Ford.  Those parts were cast MOFO)  At least part of the above is true
as I know it.  John Twist