Re: Not-so odd steering wheel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not-so odd steering wheel
From: mgguyc100@zeus.newedge.net (NewEdge IAS)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 22:36:17 -0400
>Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 09:19:42 -0800 (PST)
>To: mgs@autox.team.net
>From: lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E. Gilbert)
>Subject: odd steering wheel
>Sender: owner-mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
>The steering wheel that came on my '67 B GT is imprinted "personal" as a
>brand/model name. It has a wood outer ring with 3 alloy spokes which have
>the graduated size round holes in them. The hub is a chrome ring around a
>smallish black horn button containing an inset of the MG logo (red and
>silver) in clear plastic. A rather attractive wheel but not stock.
>
>The question, does anyone have any history on this steering wheel.
>
>Thanks
>Ernest 'If we had an MG legal system I would be out of work' Gilbert
>lawref@lawref.com
>MGs: http://www.lawref.com/eeg/britworks/
>Prs: http://www.lawref.com/eeg/eeg.html

Ernest:

I have a 'Personal' wheel on my '70 GT. I purchased the wheel in 1972. When
I bought my first MG in '72 ( a red '70 roadster), I bought the wheel from
the MG dealership's accessories counter for $36 (!) (and that's 1972
Canadian $!). When I traded the car (a silly youthful error), I kept the
wheel (a wise youthful forethought), then six months later when I bought my
GT - I installed the wheel, and it's been there ever since.

Mine's aged nicely. Has a nice patina. I recall seeing these sold through
the Haan company who used to advertise sports car accessories in Road &
Track back in the '70s. I've only seen a very few of these wheels, but
understand they're of Italian manufacture? I wonder if they're still in biz?

Speaking of the Haan company, when I came across my '68 roadster back in
'85, underhood was a Masseratti horn, complete with it's "J.B.Haan" sticker.
Still have that too. It's v e r y loud, and now lives under the bonnet of my
'77. I like when the opportunity to use it comes up. It's sounds
so,..so,..so 'continental'!

Cheers from the frozen Atlantic coast!

Terry "Got those Waitin' for my engine blues" Williams
'70 GT
'68 roadster
'77 roadster
- 25 Celcius