Removing Distributor Drive Dog

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing Distributor Drive Dog
From: Sam Staton <hstaton@jaxnet.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 1996 22:33:38 -0500
I'm sure that all of the MG gurus on the list will sit back and guffaw
at this, but I thought I
would add it for the benefit of those of us who may be disassebling a B
series engine for the
first time. I've been driving MGs and working on them for almost 20
years, but this is the first
time I've ever disassembled one!
        Anyway, cut to the chase - all of the manuals I have say that
all you need to do to
remove the distributor drive dog (after the distributor is removed of
course) is to thread a
proper bolt into the end and lift it out, turning it slightly as you
lift, to disengage it from
the cam. So far as it goes, this is 100% true. One thing every manual I
have (Bentley, Haynes,
etc.) fails to mention is that there is a housing holding the dog in,
and it must be removed
first! (It must be the only item on an MG only held in place by one
bolt!) I even went so far as
to drill the brass plug out on the other end of the shaft hole and tried
to drive it out that
way. Needless to say (although I will, anyway), that didn't work. Once
the offending plate was
removed, however, the dog did truly lift right out. The only book I have
been able to find that
even shows a picture of this is 'BMC and Leyland B-series Engine Data'
by Lindsey Porter.
Sam Staton
hstaton@jaxnet.com
'73 Roadster