Changing oil (gearbox?)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Changing oil (gearbox?)
From: Barry Archer <archerb@sound.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 22:21:31 -0600 (CST)
  Okay, here's a real newbie question.  With the Kansas City temps down
below 10 degrees this weekend, I'm wondering why the DPO for my '78 MGB had
20W50 oil in the crankcase.  Having never encountered anything but 10W40 in
my previous life, I just figured that 20W50 was what I was suppose to use.

  Now I look in the nice reprint of the owners manual and find it depends on
the region.  Okay, so it looks safe to use 10W30 or 10W40, and I bet it
needs changing soon anyway (especially if I want to drive in sub-freezing
temps) - but do I need to change the oil in the gearbox and overdrive at the
same time?  I have no idea what oil was used, although the overdrive does
work, at least in 20+ temps (okay, I didn't realize at first 20W50 wouldn't
be good in low temps until it wouldn't start and I looked it up).

   Thanks,

       Barry - waiting for the temp ro rise and KC to beat Baltimore
tomorrow. ;-)