Re: Help! About to pull MGA engine...

To: James R Ferguson <jferg@twave.net>
Subject: Re: Help! About to pull MGA engine...
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:01:07 -0600 (CST)
Thanks for the helpful replys.  Both of my shop manuals say you must
remove the floorboards and tunnel.  For most of yesterday morning I kept
thinking about how most of the design features of MGs are so simple and
well thought out and "what kind of idiot would do it that way instead of
providing an access panel on the tunnel?"  Not having anything better to
do I began removing the bolts holding down the right floorboards.  A few
were stubborn so I moved to the left side, pulled up the rest of the
carpet, and "Hey!  An access panel!  Cool!"  So I ran a die over the
bolts I had removed and replaced them.  (Does anyone else take intense
pleasure in removing a 35 year stuck bolt, tapping and dieing, and
feeling how well it goes back together?)  I was thrilled to find that
panel, reassured of the intellegence of the designers, and am now ready
to rent the hoist.  I still am a bit ticked off that none of the pictures
or manuals indicate something this important.  Oh well, once you get the
carpet up it's pretty obvious.

Thanks again for the help.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Nichols Research Corp.