Re: Gear box shifts out of gear

To: "Frank van Dalen" <F.vanDalen@LR.TUDelft.NL>
Subject: Re: Gear box shifts out of gear
From: dcouncil@imt.net (Support)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:13:39 -0700
>Hi all,
>
>I have a minor problem with the gearbox of my '69 B: if I want to slow the car
>down by releasing the accelerator while engaged in third gear, it wants to
>throw itself out of gear into neutral. Otherwise the gearbox is smooth. Any
>ideas for possible causes and what it would take to fix it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank van Dalen

When I had this problem, it was due to a loose nut on the main shaft of the
transmission (I would be more technical but I am at work and away from my
trusty MG manuals).

The solution in any case is removal of the transmission for repairs. In my
case I ignored it. One day the car got stuck in fourth gear. Since I was to
leave the country for a temporary job assignment in Colombia within a few
weeks, I immediately pulled the transmission out and had it repaired so
that my wife would have the car to use while I was gone.

All that work and she never drove it while I was gone (but then it was the
dead of winter in Wyoming).

When I returned, I found the clutch wouldn't work because the hydraulic
fluid had leaked out. After I fixed that, my speedo died (right angle
drive). Ah, the joys of owning an English car (BTW that was ten years ago
and the car still runs).

David Councill
71 BGT