Re: Front License Plates

To: gmccann%pcug.org.AU@UUNET.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Front License Plates
From: Mike Lambdin <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:33:59 -0500 (EST)
Front plates are not required by *all* states, here in the U.S.,
Louisiana being one of them. As for that "untidy blank spot",
this lent to the creation of the specialty plate industry - the
Confederate flag for example.

I once owned an '81 RX-7 and, luckily, there was no unsightly flat
area on the front bumper for the license plate rather a bracket
that was bolted to the underside of the car. This I promptly removed
and drove minus the front tag, which is required here in the sate
of Maryland.

Hopefully, someday, front plates won't be required in any of the 50
states and those flat spots on the bumpers can be eliminated.

Mike Lambdin  Balto., Md., U.S.A.

Could some kind soul end a controversy raging here in Oz about whether front
plates are required in the USA.  We currently have front and rear plates but
there is a proposal to delete the front plates.

Since all cars are made here, Japan, Asia and Europe have provision for the
plate it would seem that all you would have is an untidy blank spot on the
front bumper.  I recall from a 1960s visit to the US that, in Louisiana at
least the cars seemed to have Confederate flage and the like in place of the
front plate.

Thanks
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au