Re: starter problem

To: 102221.1716@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: starter problem
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:26:48 -0600 (CST)
> thinking an intermittent ignition switch, starter solenoid short, starter dead
> spot, or just a short somewhere in the system. battery seems strong even
>though

It could be a gunky starter solenoid.  The proper solution is to remove
it and clean it, but I've had good luck (on those so-far occasional days
when the starter doesn't turn) rapping it with a mallet or long stick.

A semi-funny story:  My wife had a very brief stint as a waitress at a
local restaurant.  While I was working on her Volvo, she drove the 'B to
work one night, and it wouldn't start when it was time to come home.
All of the restaurant employees gathered around the car to try and help
diagnose the problem.  Of course somebody suggested the battery, but
when they opened the hood to check it, they were dumbfounded!  I love
the mental image of a bunch of MG-illiterate waiters/waitresses staring
at the battery-less engine compartment.

She called me, I came and rapped on the solenoid, and away we went.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer - sick