starter problem

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter problem
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Date: 24 Jan 96 09:15:11 EST
hi gang,
the response a month or two ago to my question about the speedo cable was so
rapid and helpful, i figure i'll try again.  after almost 3 years of relatively
trouble free daily driving in my '68 b, i've run up against my first electrical
problem.  yesterday i turned the key, got the red light and fuel pump to click,
and then turned to start and nothing.  a friend push started me, and i drove
home.  at home the starter worked twice, and i decided to check the battery
terminals.  yep, corrosion on one.  cleaned it, started it a couple of times,
and thought i'd fixed it.  this morning in the cold it cranked normally for four
or five seconds twice, then on the third turn of the key, dead again.  i'm
thinking an intermittent ignition switch, starter solenoid short, starter dead
spot, or just a short somewhere in the system. battery seems strong even though
it's old, normal cranking and then nothing - so i've counted it out.  i'll
probably try to dig into it tonight, any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,

rick huber
'68 b daily driver