Re: Unleaded fuel and valves (was: F experiences, for some odd

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel and valves (was: F experiences, for some odd
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 09:07:36 -0700
At 05:49 AM 1/28/96 EST, you wrote:
>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>

>Since I have my invoice right here, I thought I'd post it just in case
>there is someone else out there who, like me, has no idea what the cost
>of hardened seats come to.
>
>Fasten Your seatbelts please:
>
>4 Intakes seats              $50.40
>4 Exhaust seats              63.24
>   head kit                      49.95
>4 stellite exhaust valves 38.00
>                            parts total    201.19
>
>Valve job :
> (incl) Vat , Magnaflux
>             freeze plugs    125.00
>Install 4 hard seats         40.00
>mill head .010                 68.00
>ream  guides                  36.00
>                            labor total   201.19
>
>Governor Bush' s cut   16.58
>Total-----------------------------------------$486.77
>
>I have no idea how this compares with other shops but I will say the
>machine shop I used specializes in building race engines ( Big blocks)
>and he takes on my MG work only because the guys in the shop get a kick
>out of working on my "toy" engine.
>
>Needless to say I was somewhat taken aback at the cost since in the
>past I have always paid  100 to 150 for a valve job.

Although I will someday face this dilemma, the costs mentioned here seem
high but not unreasonable. Its been 12 years (and 100K plus miles) since I
had the valve guides replaced on my 71 BGT. At that time it was about $100-150.

My 74 Toyota Landcruiser, on the other hand, seems to need a valve job every
60,000 miles. At that time I need to replace one or two exhaust valves. The
last one a few years ago cost me closer to $200 or $250, but it is also a 6
cylinder engine.

I had anticipated something in the neighborhood of $300 when I do the valve
change due to the acquisition of the hardened components. But I also thought
my lead starved car would someday require the change. My car seems to run
fine on the current unleaded fuel and supposedly the higher elevations I
drive in tend to not require as high an octane fuel.

Of course we don't have the governer's cut in Montana where there is no
sales tax. Not to worry - they take it from our paychecks instead.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html