Re: Tow Bar

Subject: Re: Tow Bar
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:29:04 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 prsmith@satcom.whit.org wrote:

> If I  remove the front rubber bumper from my 80B, can I attach a tow bar
> to the bracketss on the car - are they strong enough for this task?  does
> anyone have a recommended tow bar type or plans to build one?

It certainly works on chrome-bumpered Bs, and so I would definitely
expect the rubber bumper ones to be strong enough.

We flat-towed my '73 for a total of about 150 miles during the Engine
Rebuild and "frame" welding from hell.  We took off the over-riders and
put "pickle forks" in their place.  We ran a wire back from the tow
vehicle into the plug which normally runs from the alternator to provide
juice for the tail-lights.  Ideally you'd like to activate brake lights
as well.  You don't want to make any sudden starts or stops, of course.

The interesting part of all this is that the tow vehicle was a Rover P6
(P5? a '73 Rover sedan).   We got some odd looks...

As others have said, don't lock the steering wheel.  Luckily, my lock has
been broken for decades so I wasn't vulnerable.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle