UK MGB Prices

To: mgs@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: UK MGB Prices
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk> (Tel 0171 - 215 - 1663)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 14:21:00 +0000
Tue, 6 Feb 96 21:13 EST  Robert J. Donahue Wrote :-

:What is an MGB (in good shape but not show quality) worth? Please include
:your region. For that matter, I wonder what they go for in the U.K. where
:they came from.

As a reader in the UK who picks up the digest for the list apologies if this
has
already been covered, but I felt this one I could put in my 2 penneth worth
(Northern English Phrase - 2c worth !?)

I have been looking for a good MGB Roadster at the right price for the past 12
months, having restored a couple of LBCs over the last few years (Morris Minor
most recent) I want to get into something more sporty and the B fits the bill
beautifully. They are like hens teeth however and getting hold of one at the
right money for me (not much with Wife, kids etc etc..snivel) is proving hard.

Anyhow back on the thread - Roadsters in the UK start at around 1,500 UKP for a
pretty tatty runner - usually fairly full of rust as our weather tends to waste
cars pretty fast.

Good runners, with bit of rust here and there - 2,500 - 4,000 UKP and for
restored cars with good mechanicals and little rust 4,000 - 7,000 UKP. Special
cars in top condition or MGC's tend to be 6,000 UKP upwards.

MGB GTs on the other hand are really cheap (for what you get) and pretty common
too ! Starting prices in comparable categories :

                   Roadster                 GT

Tatty Runner      1,500-2,500             600-1,200
Good Runner       2,000-4,000           1,000-2,500
Restored OK       4,000-7,000           2,500-4,000
Restored Great       7,000+                4,000+

These are for London UK prices but are cheaper up north (North West, Manchester
area).

Having watched the messages about GTs on the list over the last week or so and
seeing how much you enjoy them, I am sorely tempted to but one of those instead
of a Roadster, particularly as you seem to get better value for money. Mind you
the value of a soft-top does not figure highly when the weather is as bad as it
is at present.

Come summer things may be different -  anyone got any comments on the best of
the two - Roadster vs GT ?

Yours, awaiting my MG.

Kevin

`62 Morris Minor
`xx MGB Roadster (there is one out there with my name on it !)