Re: Originality 2B or not 2B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality 2B or not 2B
From: RobertS355@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 09:34:40 -0500
I have a '63 B that was real close to the crusher.  It sat outside through
too many Northeast winters and was rapidly returning to the earth.  The floor
boards were gone, the outer ends of the crossmember, the inner side members,
castle sills, rockers, quarter panels and wheel wells had pretty much
disappeared.  Two things that kept this car from the junk: its one of the
first 5000 ever made, and I love to tinker and learn new skills.  So, I
taught myself to weld with a borrowed welder, put about $700 into new metal
from Moss and after about 9 months I've completed one side and will have the
other done in a few weeks.  The welding isn't the best but very little of it
is cosmetic.  Everything is coming out straight so I'm really excited.
 Original - not completely.  But it will be pretty close.  The final touch
will be repairing the speaker holes for those woofers cut into the back
panel.  It'll probably be next spring before the car is back on the road but
when it's done I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that another one has
been saved.  Even more important is the knowledge that even this type of
major work is possible for any do-it-yourselfer.  So, if there's anyone out
there contemplating such a project, my advice would be, go for it and be
satisfied with having a great car to drive.

Bob Scardamalia
'63 MGB #4754
roberts355@aol.com