email spam

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: email spam
From: Bill D <billd@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 18:59:08 +1130 (???)
Who administers the British-cars and MG's mailing lists?

I have just seen the fourth or fifth piece of email spam/spew posted to
the british-cars mailing list.  (from editor-f@goodprice.com).

In my humble opinion, it is time to "close" the list so that only people
who are subscribed to the list can post to it, from the address by which
they are subscribed.  New subscribers would always be welcome, but they
will be "pinged"... sent a confirming piece of email that will confirm
that they have in fact given us a valid email address.  This gives the
list owner (or any of us) the ability to pursue abuse of the net or other
unmannerly behavior through the person's sysadmin.

I hate to advocate fascist security measures, but the increasing amount
of net.abuse seems to make it necessary.

Opinions, either posted to the list or mailed, are encouraged.

Bill

--
billd@doa.net billd@voicenet.com  (Bill Duetschler)
'71 MGB (daily driver)