Fixing wear in an MGA real axle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fixing wear in an MGA real axle
From: RatiganJ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 23:15:14 -0500
     I think I know the answer to my question, but I will ask it anyway
because my  experience has shown that the information received from questions
posted on this mailing list is invaluable.

    I am rebuilding a 58 MGA.  I recently disassembled the rear axle/brake
(wire wheels). The car has been sitting in a field for 15 years, so some of
the parts are difficult to dissassemble.  One of the rear hubs required
signficant effort to remove with a puller.  The other rear hub practically
fell off.  On this latter axle, I discovered signficant wear on the portion
of the rear axle on which the wheel bearing rests (There was also signfiicant
wear with this wheel bearing).  Now, should I take the whole rear axle casing
off and take it to a machine shop to have the surface built up and
subsequently machined down to the right diameter or should I search out a
used rear axle housing?  And it I have a machine shop fix my rear axle
housing, to what diameter should I have them finish the rear axle bearing
surface?

     Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you can provide.

                      Joe Ratigan