Re: brake fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:43:44 -0800
>To: TheHerrs@aol.com
>From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
>Subject: Re: brake fluid
>
>>My 2 cents worth on brake fluid.
>>
>STUFF SNIPED.........
>>the entire system and rebuilt all the rubber in the system. There was indeed
>>some "crud" or remaining dot ?? fluid still in the system from the first time
>>and this is why the seals failed in the first place. It is extremely
>>difficult to get all the old fluid out of the system with out using two
>>quarts of expensive silicon brake fluid to competely purge the system.
>>
>  TOO RIGHT !
>
>        It is IMPERATIVE that ALL the old DOT 3 fluid is removed from the
entire hydraulic system before silicone fluid is introduced.  The only way
to be sure is to flush the entire system with a buffer.  Isopropyl alcohol
can be used for this flush.  Drain the old fluid, fill the master cylinder
with alcohol and bleed the system thoroughly.  The procedure and wheel
sequence  is well covered elsewhere in this thread.  Only after you have
clean alcohol coming from all four wheel cylinders is it safe to add the
silicone fluid.  As an added precaution I would replace all the seals and
cups in the entire system just before refilling with silicone.

>        Isopropyl alcohol can be purchased at your local pharmacy in
different quantities. 500 ml ought to do the trick (that's close to a pint
for my friends to the south). Compared to the price of silicone, or even DOT
3 brake fluid it's "cheap like borscht!"

>        Adding another fluid to the mix and rebuilding one master and four
wheel cylinders may seem like a lot of expense and bother but, if you are
serious about going the silicone fluid route, just compare it to the expense
and bother of a brake system that lets you down (even once) when you really
need it.

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        1947 MG-TC 3528