Re: brake fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:15:27 -0500 (EST)
Ross MacPerson wrote: >        Isopropyl alcohol can be purchased at your local
>pharmacy in
>different quantities. 500 ml ought to do the trick (that's close to a pint
>for my friends to the south). Compared to the price of silicone, or even DOT
>3 brake fluid it's "cheap like borscht!"

Ross,
   I'm interested as I am just now about halfway through rebuilding 4 wheel
cylinders and a MC and refilling.  I was intending to refill with Castrol LMA,
but may still consider DOT 5.  What I would like to know is this:  with my new
front caliper seals and new MC already in place,(starting on the rear wheel
cylinders this weekend) can I, should I, still purge the whole system with
alchohol, or will this damage the seals?  Must it be isopropyl alchohol or would
methanol or ethanol be OK?

Tom Wannenburg
74 Midget