Re: rubber to chrome bumper / how to

To: DRDED@aol.com
Subject: Re: rubber to chrome bumper / how to
From: NICL@sedproc.cr.usgs.GOV (Alan Bol)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:38:59 -0700

>Suspension lowering, which I'm going to wait and see what it looks like
>before I do it. I'm thinking I may prefer additional ground clearance over
>the look. Any way to accomplish this you would need shorter springs in front,
>I know of one person who cut one coil off existing a replaced it and a one
>inch aluminum block to place between the rear axle housing and the leaf
>springs ( possibly longer U-bolts) .

Since you apparently have a chrome bumper car as a doner car, if it has the
front cross member/suspesion unit, use that instead of cutting the coils of
the spring.  I think that cutting the front coils will change the camber of
the front wheels ( maybe that's what you want).  (I happen to have a '65
front cross member...)
To change the ride hight for the later cars, I believe that they welded
spacers to the front cross member and changed the arc on the rear springs.
The guys at Motorhead would know better about this.

UMMM, adding a 1 inch spacer between the axel housing and the rear springs
RAISES the rear ride hight, was he making a jackbutt MG?

Geoff Hargreaves