Midget 1500 Speedo Problems!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget 1500 Speedo Problems!
From: Rob <rah@sna.co.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 12:10:50 +0000
Hi all,

I've been having a recurring problem with the speedo on my 1500
Midget. The initial time the speedo ceased to function, the fault was
traced to a sticking speedo cable which was making the speedo reading
inconsistent, eventually this had damaged the plastic cog in the
gearbox causing the speedo failure.

Both the cable and the cog were replaced and all seemed well with a
steady speedo reading. Approximatly 5000 miles later the speedo died
again.

I have disconnected the speedo cable from the speedometer, and it
does not appear to be turning whilst the car is in motion, this
suggested to me that the cog in the gearbox had again been damaged
somehow. However the speedo had not been working for approximatly 3
months, until this weekend on the motorway doing 70 mph, it sprang
into life and worked perfectly for about 1 mile before ceasing to
function yet again!

What can this be? I'm stumped!

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Rob.

BOM 188V