Re: Midget 1500 Speedo Problems!

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 Speedo Problems!
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:45:23 GMT
>>>I've been having a recurring problem with the speedo on my 1500
>>>Midget. The initial time the speedo ceased to function, the fault was
>>>traced to a sticking speedo cable which was making the speedo reading
>>>inconsistent, eventually this had damaged the plastic cog in the
>>>gearbox causing the speedo failure.

Have you checked the speedo itself. I think they're renowned for being a bit
dodgy. I know that mine wavers around by about 10MPH all the time - I think this
is a well known attribute. I wouldn't be too surprised if mine gave up
altogether
one day.  Maybe a sticky bearing on the spinning bit inside (my knowledge of
what
exactly goes on inside a speedo is a little limited as you'll have just
guessed).

The only other options seems to be that the plastic cog has gone again, or that
something driving it has gone. If either of these, then it's probably a sign
that
something is wrong in the 'box somewhere that might be worth investigating.

I hope the weather in Manchester is better than it used to be when I studied
there -
especially if you're crawling around under the midget !

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.