Estimate $$$

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Estimate $$$
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:21:00 -0700
After receiving several posts about white smoke = coolant/water in the
combustion chamber and checking the cylinders, I fear that the head gasket
needs to be replaced.  This would explain the wet plugs in cylinders 1 & 2
and the difficulty in "firing" upon start.  This also explains why the car
smoked white a good bit until it warmed up.  I have not done a compression
test of the cylinders YET as recommended, but intend to do so this weekend.

Fearing the worst, what is a "reasonable" estimate to have a head gasket
replaced for a 79 MGB:

        1. just the gasket replaced =

        2. replace the gasket and machine the head level =

        3. replace gasket,  machine head and replace rings =

 Should I seek out (i) a "foreign car" mechanic, (ii) a machine shop or
(iii) an "MG mechanic" to do 1., 2. or 3., above?