Re: air pump queries

To: "Matthew Montes" <MMONTES@muskingum.edu>
Subject: Re: air pump queries
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:25:04 -0800
Matt:

I have a 71B and have preformed the same "modification" as Chuck Ciaffone
suggested--gutted the pump. I also agree that it is necessary to grease the
internal parts to make sure the unit continues to spin. Alternatively,
remove the pump and just plug the hoses. A number of people believe that
even just running the pump robs the engine of a small amount of hp and
removing it "increases" power. I'm uncertain of how much hp is restored. I
have removed the pump (and only reconnect it for state inspections), I can't
honestly notice the difference between a connected, but gutted pump, and
when it off the car.

Hope this helps

At 09:36 PM 2/26/96 EST, you wrote:
>My 70 B was stored for 14 years.  Back on the road again, the air pump quit
working.  Can I rebuild it?  Where should I route the lines for best
running.  Thanks for any help.
>Matt

Stephen Patchel
Consulting Practice Leader