Help! Any Ideas?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! Any Ideas?
From: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 96 08:45:01 -0500
Well, here is what happened. My 72B which has always started (yes, even
in cold weather) at the first turn now has a problem. It all began when I
read on the net that someone was using Mystery Oil in the dashpots of
their carbs in the winter and it helped with the initial rough
acceleration. So since it sounded like a good idea to me, I poured some
in my carbs. Since it was a beautiful day (almost 80 here in February!) I
was headed out for a nice top down run and tried to start the car. All I
got was an engine that was barely running which seemed to be firing on
one or maybe two cylinders and would not respond to the throttle at all.
About 300 rpm at best. After much trying I gave up and decided that it
must of been the mystery oil which had been so thin it ran down into the
carbs and had fouled the engine. I opened the carbs and yes oil was in
the throats so I took off the dashpots and cleaned everything up and then
also replaced the plugs but to make a long story short, no improvement.
Does anyone have any idea what may of happened? I havent had a chance to
check the timing or take a look at the electronic ignition but if anyone
has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Allan Hovis
hovisa@nando.net