re: top down in the cold (was 66 MG won't start)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: top down in the cold (was 66 MG won't start)
From: FirDarreg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 01:34:02 -0500
Loki:

You wrote> (snip't)
>btw... there is nothing better than drive an MG with the top down when it
>is freezing outside <g>

And I couldn't agree with you more.  I once drove my Rags (75 B) from Fort
Defiance, Virginia (up in the mountains near WVA) to Richmond, Virginia,
approximately 170 miles, top down all the way, in the freezing cold.  Call me
daft. I had just installed one of those dashing little rail boots that cover
the top when it's down, and intended to drive only to Staunton or so (maybe
ten miles) with the top down, and then pull the top up and finish the leg to
Richmond. I usually drive only on U.S. Highways, not only because I like the
scenery better than Interstates but also because, having driven an 18-wheel
artic...sorry, 'rig' for a bit, I'm not convinced that Rags is visible to
them.  It was November, shortly after Thanksgiving, and the temperature was
in the mid 30's or so.  By the time I got to Staunton, bundled in a lap robe,
wool cap, scarf, and leather jacket with wool-lined leather gloves, I didn't
feel too bad. I thought, oh, what the heck. It's a five minute job to get the
top up anyway, why not press on. I turned the heat up all the way and
continued on US 250 across the mountains. Along about Afton, I hit a
snowstorm (briefly), but kept on anyway. Not only did I have a blast, only
get mildly frostbitten around the ears, and enjoy the thrill of watching a
snowstorm top-down, but I got the most amazing looks from drivers and foot
traffic along the road. I got several interesting comments as well, at
traffic lights in Charlottesville and Zion's Crossroads. What fun!  For those
who haven't tried it, I heartily recommend it.

ckr