Brake Fluid...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Fluid...
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 17:26:32 -0600
Hello,

I was going to (until I realize it was too windy) to bleed my brakes today
because (a) I have no idea when the last time it was done and (b) I have to
put a LOT of pressure on the pedal to stop the car and (c) my brake lights
don't come on unless I have the pedal pushed way down.

I have a couple of questions before I being (since I have never done this
before)...

1) I check the lines and don't see any signs of a leak, yet my master
cylinder is low on fluid -- where does the fluid go? (I am very curious
about this <g>).

2) My Haynes manual says to 'top off' the master cyliner -- where exactly is
the 'top off' line?  Do I go 1/2" below the top, right to the rim, or let
the fluid overflow and eat all the paint off of my fender? <>

3) Will bleeding the brakes fix the problem with my lights not going on
unless the pedal is on the floor?  This bothers me as I feel the lights
should go on without much pressure to let people know I am 'thinking' of
braking <g>

4) This is a '66 B (even registered that way <g>) and the Haynes manual says
use DOT 3 but I thought I should use DOT 4???  Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ross Goldberg
'66 MGB
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)