Re: Brake Fluid...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid...
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 22:32:23 -0600
Hello,

Thanks for all the tips... now after reading through my Haynes manual I have
some new questions that I couldn't figure out from the pictures <g>  I have
not been under the car to check these things out, so if these questions seem
self explanatory let me know :-)

1) What is the minimum amount of 'pad' on the front brake pads before they
need to be replaced?

2) Should I adjust the rear brakes before I bleed the brakes?

3) If the hoses all 'look' in good condition, should they be replaced just
because they are old?

4) How often should the brakes be flushed even if there is no evidence of a
problem?

5) If I need to replace the brake light sensor (on my '66 MGB) will brake
fluid leak out where the sensor is attached to the braking system?  (I
honestly have no idea how it is attached -- I know where, but not how)

On a side note -- can the brakelight sensor be adjusted for sensitivity?
Haynes doesn't say much about it at all (they seem to cover everything else
but not this).

Also, if my wheel cylinders are leaking will the brake fluid be very evident
or just appear as a dampness?  The whole underside of the car has a 'gook'
that has built up over 30 years and it is hard to tell what is new and what
is just collected oil and dirt.

Basically, if anyone has any tips for someone who is going to bleed his
brakes, possibly replace the flexible hoses in the braking system, check the
front pads, adjust the rear brakes and possibly replace the brake light
sensor (stoplamp switch), please let me know.

One more questions (actually I have hundreds)... my brake pedal has a lot of
free-play from side to side (probably about 1/2" in each direction).  Is
this normal or can it be corrected (and if so, how)?

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far,
Ross Goldberg
'66 MGB
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)
// http://www.computek.net/public/loki