Re: Water lines (was More Questions)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water lines (was More Questions)
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:17:56 -0700
At 10:40 AM 3/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I may be wrong here, and other worthies may know more about that year B than
>I do, but it seems to me as though there isn't supposed to be a hose running
>from the heater to the water pump.  Water lines should run something like:
>T-stat housing to upper radiator, lower radiator to lower block, heater to
>heat diverter valve, heater to rear of head.  There may be a sort of
>T-connexion hose for the lower radiator hose, with one section of the T
>running into the radiator, one into the lower block (water pump), and one
>section running back to the heater.  This sort of T-hose is unique to B's,
>expensive, and is sometimes replaced by PO's, D or otherwise.

        My '79 MGB has this hose  looks like this

                                  (to metal pipe which goes to heater)
(to block)         ____|__
                                         \

                                        (to bottom of radiator)

        Where the small part coming off the top was smaller in diameter than
the rest of the hose.  The DPO had DUCT-TAPED the small connection where it
had split.  I replace the hose with one from Moss for ~$12, I think.

>On much later Bs, with Z-S carburettors, this was the case, and there was a
>complicated pipe that ran under the carb, to a port on the back of the head,
>and into the heater.  The purpose of this arrangement is still something of a
>mystery to me, though I suspect it uses warm water to keep the gasoline
>warmed by radiant heat in order to ensure some sort of emissions set-up.  It
>looks like the set-up for a water choke, but the Z-S had an electric choke,

        Mine has a water controlled choke.  The water warms a spring which
closes the choke as the water gets warmer.

>so that can't be the case.  ::shrug:: IN any case, it shouldn't be there on a
>66B.
>Luck.
>
>ckr

TTFN !
Tim Moses, Esq.         U.S.N.A. 1986                     www.csra.net/moses
Live from Augusta, Georgia   -   the 77th largest city in the USA

                                        We're a Hole in One !